View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
-li-
Mini Noob
Mini Noob

Number of posts : 270
[9D](Acclaim) : -li-

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:31 am

sorry to OT in this thread, the other old thread on system discussion was locked... hehe

my m/b is dead, can't revive/replace the bios. i'm going to have to change it, and becoz of this, have to also change cpu, and ram (old), and also graphics card(agp).... zzzz

sort of decided to get the new ati4850 card, since it is quite value for performance. likely to go for 2x2gb rams.
need some advice for cpu + m/b, my basic requirements
- no overclocking, no xfire
- no need fancy m/b, basic features are enough. preferable have onboard graphics as backup. dun mind matx factor and just 2 ram slots also.
- not sure if should go for quad6600 or the e8400, only can think of quad being useful for multiwindows instance of games... hehe

any suggestions on the cpu+m/b combo? hehe

Back to top Go down
Yao
Noob Student - Level 1
Noob Student - Level 1

Title : MLTR Fan
Number of posts : 1336
[9D](Acclaim) : [Yinn] - retired, Feya
[FW] : Yao - retired

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:03 am

I'm running a quad-core 6600 and it's blazing fast for all purposes. Over here, the Q6600 is only $20 more than the E8400 so it is totally worth it.

For MB, depending on if you wanna use DDR2 or DDR3 (still pricey), if DDR3, then a good/cheap board is the MSI P35 Neo Combo-F w/ Dual DDR2 / DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16.

For DDR2 only, you have many choices:
1. Asus P5E-VM DO w/ DualDDR2 800 ,Video, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E x16 (Q35 chipset - a bit more expensive but more stable than P35 IMO)

2. Asus P5K-SE w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16

3. Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16

Most of these should all be under $100 USD.

The onboard video is not really needed IMO. Most of these MB have very few IDE connectors; so you might have to upgrade your HDs to SATA as well.

Also, I don't recommend NForce MB if you are gonna be using the ATI video card...

Have fun with your new system.
Back to top Go down
MainEvent
Noob Student - Level 0
Noob Student - Level 0

Title : Gay Pedophile
Number of posts : 1003
[9D](Acclaim) : MainEvent, Queen-Bee
[JD] : RzArektaH
Me? : I'm not a complete idiot unlike Xss...some parts of me are missing Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 am

well at point no. 2. i'd rather go for the P35 NEO2 FR ...i have it on my system at the moment and IMO one of the greatest features of this one is the cooling factor...regarding the fact that i'm living at the las floor and the sun is burning up my roof and through my windows almost all day there is a constant 40-43 degrees Celsius + here and surprisingly my pc's temperatures are stable around 40-45 degrees...well that's what i bought it for and it's proven to be true...

regarding the CPU...if u're really going to go the gaming way u should take a little look at this too...i didn't find the one with the E8400 processors but i'm quite sure that in gaming performance it's above q6600 as the E6xxx are
Back to top Go down
-li-
Mini Noob
Mini Noob

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 pm

thanks guys, i finally settled for the p35 neo2 fr with a q6600 and hd4850.
still in the process of getting everything back in order. all the installation and housekeeping of the harddisk takes time... hehe
Back to top Go down
-li-
Mini Noob
Mini Noob

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:42 am

sorry all, another query:)
downloaded cod4 to try my new system. i noticed that when it is running at load, my casing seems to be very hot at the top portion. wasn't this hot in the past, maybe coz my previous rig was not that good config, so less heat... hehe

mine's a very old hec casing. got a sysfan on bottom front, suck air in from outside to blow towards motherboard.
psu at top rear. another sysfan below psu that sucks hot air out from casing.

think air flows from front bottom and then out near rear middle-top portion.

but the front top portion air seems to be trapped with nowhere to go. should i just open up the topmost drive bay front cover and let the air escape out? 2nd bay is currently installed with dvd drive. but i have read that leaving casing open or having openings will disrupt the proper air flow?

tia:)
Back to top Go down
Tun
Almost Noob
Almost Noob

Title : SuperSpy
Number of posts : 303
[9D](Acclaim) : Tunella, Tunnox
[JD] : Tunella, Tunox
Me? : me me and me! More me! (Agent Smith from Matrix)

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:58 am

-li- wrote:
... but i have read that leaving casing open or having openings will disrupt the proper air flow?
tia:)

When it comes to cases and airflow the best scenario is the one that suits you best. So do not hesitate to try whatever u want, and measure up the temperature changes every time.
Back to top Go down
http://united-forces-league.com
MainEvent
Noob Student - Level 0
Noob Student - Level 0

Title : Gay Pedophile
Number of posts : 1003
[9D](Acclaim) : MainEvent, Queen-Bee
[JD] : RzArektaH
Me? : I'm not a complete idiot unlike Xss...some parts of me are missing Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:21 am

In my opinion the best case is still the Antec p182 along with 2 or 3 vents... but it's kinda very expensive Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Needed: Hardware advice   

Back to top Go down

Needed: Hardware advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1